Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Misadventures of Caroline in Peru

First of all, Lima is quite a city, and I think I love it quite a bit.  It is very modern and international.
  So here are a mix of stories that I will share with you from my two days here.

First of all, we went to a Peruvian Chinese restaurant with a couple of our guys expecting to enjoy a new culinary experience.  And we got it!  The man didn't speak English or Spanish.  Only Chinese so I was limited to hello, thank you, and apple.  Which I said none of because I was being shy.  Through guessing off the menu, one of our boys almost ate chicken lung fried rice.  Luckily the man brought us out a little lung before frying it up, just to double check.

After my fried rice, mixed meat, and pineapple, we met Gloria and her husband at a Duleria.  That is a bakeshop. We talked for a good hour, prayed for her, ate really good snacks, and she joked a lot with us about cooking for our missionary boyfriends.  Later the next day it turns out that she was asking other foreigners if  "Carolina" was coming back.

The next morning I had a little chat with the Lord about what it means to grow.  Growth is sacrificing comfort and control to become what you can become.  And I have to stop acting like a victim just because I am uncomfortable.

For lunch I met up with my friend Alice, who said she would eat anywhere with me given that it wasn't seafood.  She wanted an authentic little place off of the main street.  I remembered one that my team and I passed coming back from the coastline yesterday so I walked her about 20 mins away from the main town to a restaurant called "Restuarante Rusticana".  Which turned out to be a seafood place.  OOPPPSSS!  She was a good sport though and we went in for Ceviche and Lobster Fried Rice.  But, the lobster fried rice ended up being a soup with something that looked like tripe floating in it.  We couldn't stop laughing at our position of helplessness in ordering.  And we enjoyed a drink made of dark rice that smelled like potpourri and tasted like a fruit.  (PS the floating tripe like thing was an egg and we named the dish "no se que es eso pero no es queso" even though it tasted like Velveeta cheese and there had to have been lobster in it somewhere.)

After our leadership training today, we had some laundry shop mix ups where I ended up with a bag of someone else's laundry and then I headed off to a Korean Restaurant with a teammate.  I would have never expected anything like this past few days after our long seclusion in the jungle...but here you have it.  :-)  I am so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment