Friday, December 26, 2014

Christmas in Latacunga

I ran away this Christmas.

...but instead of running away from home, I believe I ran to it this time...(or at least the closest thing to it.)

Turns out we have a little time off for Christmas, and that combined with our days off equals a good opportunity to go back to Latacunga to see my kiddos.  Myself and a friend braved public transit from Quito on Christmas Day this year and I found myself thinking a lot on the bus.  Thoughts like, "Is this good for the kids? Am I wasting money? Should I have stayed with the bigger group this holiday?"

But upon opening the door and walking in I was nearly tackled with hugs before I could finish saying "Feliz Navidad". Then I knew that we made the right choice.  So glad to be in the middle of nowhere loving on the kids that touched my heart so much these past couple weeks.  We played with the kiddos for a bit then called a taxi to take us to the nearest Christmas dinner, which turned out to be a chicken leg and rice. Then we opened gifts, chatted for hours, and slept.

This morning after feeding them I read them some books in Spanish (slowly with a bit of an accent...sometimes its just too morning for that sort of thing...haha) and I returned to the apartment to eat breakfast and work on my FAFSA for gradschool.  This is the time in which I discovered that goofy Caroline left half of her charger in Quito.  I am currently typing on a borrowed Ipad that I only kinda know how to use since I did the speech therapy language program on it for our non-vocal kiddos...but maybe I can use it tonight if I can sort that out.

Perhaps being in the countryside without technology this weekend is a blessing in disguise... But I sure would love to get some to-dos done too!  We will play it by ear.

We return to Quito on Sunday and continue our ministry there until heading to Africa on the 6th by way of Washington DC and my brother's homemade cookies. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment