Thursday, April 23, 2015

Adventures in Singapore

Monday: After a Bus to Kuala Lumpur to catch the train to Singapore, I was tired…but couldn’t possibly go to bed and sacrifice those precious first hours in a new city.  I dragged a teammate outside to walk around the little mixture of Chinese and India shops and restaurants near our hostel.  And then when sleepiness got the best of me, I returned to a hot shower and cool bedroom (with a real bed!)

Tuesday: We woke and had continental breakfast (cereal and milk, possible toast) and headed down to the metro to find our way to the Marina Bay Sands structure.  That is the large building made of three towers supporting a ship on top.  We got ourselves up to the top for photo purposes, then split off into two groups.  We walked around the bay area for a bit before going into one of my old favorite coffee places from my time in Korea; “The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf”.  We found ourselves in the historic district after that to tour buildings and a fireman’s museum.  Our wanderings took us to the University, where I was more than happy to buy Kimchi Jjigae for “linner”.  We then rushed off to the Singapore Flyer, the tallest observation wheel in the world (The London Eye comes in 3rd.)  However, it was closed temporarily for poor weather.  So to pass the time, we ate very delicious gelatos and got fish pedicures.  When that form of ticklish-torture was over, the flyer was running again.  While we were up it, we got to enjoy not only the sights of the city, but also the lightshow that takes place in the botanical garden.  Then it was time to wander back to the metro for our trip back to the hostel.

Wednesday: The theme of today was shopping!  Everyone in my little group bought a dress, or shoes, or shorts. But I did not. I have to be sold on something hardcore to buy it.  And there was only one object that did that for me…but it was too expensive for what it was.  From the shops at Orchard Rd., we went on to Sentosa Island and Boardwalk on our long walk to the beach.  I swam a bit, and hopped into a beachside pool for fun…but then the rains came.  With my beach nap put on hold, I split nachos with some of the girls and then we took off for our next little stop.  We were told by another guest at our hostel that the best views, better than the Flyer, could be found at Singapore’s (and possibly S.E. Asia’s) highest alfresco bar.  It was ladies night so they waved the $30 cover charge and we dressed in our finest clothes (missionary rags compared to the other’s in queue).  Unfortunately due to the weather, the rooftop was closed so they only took us to the 61st level.  The view was good, but the music loud, the floor crowded, and the lights flashy, and we couldn’t spend more than 20 mins up there taking photos before we ran off to Starbucks.  That’s more my speed even if the view isn’t as good.  :-P

Overall, this was an expensive endeavor, but hopefully, this experience has given me a little bit of the comforts of home.  Good food, touring time, and getting to play in shopping malls…though I hope to actually buy something one day…


That was the adventure that was Singapore.  Now back to teaching.

Singapore at Night from the Flyer (highest observation tower in the world)

No comments:

Post a Comment