Saturday, February 15, 2014

Awkward Story Time...

I wanted to tell you a little story about the awkward situations I tend to get myself in...

I am on an email list with my local church that sends me daily emails with news, events, and prayer requests.  I was skimming through the email last week and came across an announcement for an Open House at the Assisted Living Home in the next town over.  It said, "...come sample our cheesecake, meet some of our senior residents, and tour the facility."

In Caroline's mind that translates to, "COME EAT CHEESECAKE WITH OUR ELDERLY!"  I was like, yes!  And we can make little valentine cards to bring them too!  So my new friend/coworker Tara and I stayed up late cutting out little paper hearts and writing cheesy poems (and someone went a little crazy with the glitter glue).  We tried to figure out why they were having such an event...was it to get people to visit their families?  What could it be?

We show up at 12:00 pm on the dot, not wanting to be late to our little cheesecake lunch party with our soon-to-be new elderly friends but couldn't find the front door.  After walking in through some random porch and down a hallway of complete lost-ness, we found a little reception room with 9 pieces of cheesecake and some toppings.  A little voice in my mind was saying...something is wrong, where are your old people?

Then a woman greets us, "Can I help you?"

"Why yes you can, we are here for the Valentine Cheesecake Luncheon!"

Blank stares...

"Um, we brought valentine's for the elderly..."

Blank stares...

"Cheesecake..."

Our new found friend Pam lead us to the cheesecake and went to get us coffee.  (I say new found friend, because she gave us food...of course we are best friends now!)  At this moment Tara and I have a whispered conversation about our confusion.

Me:  "I don't think this is what we think this is...."

Tara:  "Yeah, I think it is for older people who want to tour and think about moving in."

Me:  "We can fake we are sisters and have an elderly grandma..."

Tara: "Or plan and early retirement..."

Enter Pam Stage Left

Pam: "Here's the coffee....so how did you hear about us?"

We ended up telling the truth of our confusion over cheesecake...  There were many awkward pauses...and silences.  But eventually we were invited to hand out our valentines in the cafeteria.  Though it wasn't the chance to sit and visit as I thought it would be, it was the way it was supposed to be.  We did get a lot of smiles and "thank you"s.  And before we left, the director asked us for our organization's information..."Is it on the valentine cards?"

"No...just some cards from some girls...haha!"

As awkward as it was, they asked us to come back and volunteer there sometime.  So it is all is well that ends well!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment