Monday, March 16, 2015

These Days…

It’s hard to say what I am doing these days since it seems that I am always waiting.  African Time is in full force here in Zimbabwe, so we spend hours wondering if we are actually going to do ministry that day.  It’s not anyone’s fault, since there are many unexpected things that come up, mainly in form of meetings, work, or broken vehicles (our contact is down two cars now…and the one he is currently borrowing sounds like it is on it’s deathbed.)

So, these days, we mainly lead bible studies, youth group, and do home visits.  We will be doing outreach next week to spread news of the new church plant.  And we just had a meeting with the Scripture Union about leading their bible clubs in the Public School.  They are the only ones permitted by the committee on education to enter schools with the word.  So if we want in, we go through them.

Last night, my teammate Vashti led the bible study on the outskirts of town.  I planned a lesson, but 45 minutes before we left, they handed us a huge packet and said that this was the curriculum that we were to teach.  The planner in me panicked, and Vashti took over…thank God.

We drove across country roads that would have been better left unpaved since the sporadic tarmac made the ride much bumpier than gravel would.  Our contact bought us some grilled maize on the cob from the men on the street who cook it over old barrels.  Well after dark we arrived to a darkened house, and 15 people eagerly sitting around candles waiting for the word.  By candlelight we sang songs in Shona and English, and Vashti brought the word.

That day I had joy.  And I didn’t have to work for it.  I just had it.  I was so grateful!  But when that happens, it makes the Devil a little nervous…and all today has been a struggle to keep that joy.  I have it still, but it hasn’t been easy.  And as I tire of fighting, I just want to lie in bed and not think.  That’s a wee bit unhealthy so instead I have been keeping busy; cleaning now that we have water again, watching movies on my computer now that we have the power back, and writing this blog.

This morning I was on babysitting duty for our host’s little girl.  She is special needs, but God has been healing her.  She recently began walking and talking, so please keep her development in your prayers.  During my time with her, we colored in my journal with crayons, sang twinkle little stars and an Irish song I taught her that reminded me of home, and I told her the story of Daniel in the Lion’s Den.  Later when I was reading Tozer on my computer, she walked in, boop-ed me on the nose with one finger, waited for me to return the sign of affection, smiled when I did, and walked on.


And that’s what is happening these days.  I have a feeling that ministry is so fluctuating and intermittent because God has things to do with me in this down time.  And I have to fight the mental fatigue and let Him work.  So… that’s that.  Oh Zimbabwe…

No comments:

Post a Comment