Friday, July 10, 2015

Coming to You from Vietnam!

I got to Skype my friend Jill last night, and she asked me where in the world I was, because she said that she couldn't keep up with me.  I told her, I couldn't even keep up with me.  During this "down time" in Vietnam, I am so busy trying to plan out Belize and not get scammed here that I don't really think I am resting much.

I did enjoy a cruise through Halong Bay which was magnificent.  And met a couple on the boat that let me practice my Spanish with them before I have to get to using it again in Belize.  The wife was from Iowa and the husband, Colombia.  They were so kind and even suggested a better Hotel for my last couple nights.  And believe me, the switch was well worth the stress of switching.  I was upgraded to a deluxe room free of charge and they even have a real shower with hot water.

The trying not to get scammed thing is hard though.  Already I have had my card scanned multiple times for a single purchase and I also had an incident with a shoe-man.  I was walking down the street and the man comes running after me yelling for me to stop and pointing at my feet.  I thought, "OH dear me! I stepped on something important".  And I stopped.  At that point, he pulls off my shoe and begins gluing the loose parts back on.  I told him to stop.  He said "don't worry."  I said, "Stop it.  NO!  I will not pay you money.  Stop."  And he keeps saying, "don't worry."  I protest for about 2 more minutes as he sews up the sole.  I keep saying, "No!  I will not pay."  Finally, he gives it back and demands the equivalent of $10USD.  And I told him very firmly that I never wanted my shoes sown and that I told him no, but he just wasn't listening.  He began to argue with me again.  I said NO! Then I ran away....haha.

After running off, I dipped into massage parlor to lose the guy and relieve some stress.  I just need to wear nicer shoes and maybe he won't recognize me when I go back out tonight to the walking food tour and water puppet show.  Until then, I think I will just rest in my very very comfy bed.  Thank you Hanoi Holiday Gold!  :-)

Halong Bay:  View from my Cabin Window early morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment