Friday, July 24, 2015

Earth Expeditions Ending... To the Next Adventure

Being sick stinks… especially when you are busy, or abroad, or in my case both.  In an attempt to not sacrifice community for comfort, I have been trying extra hard to be involved.  Whether that is transecting coral reefs or dancing in a Belizean drum circle, I am always trying to plug in.

But once again, I find myself sitting in the room alone trying to recover, while the world goes on outside.  As much as I want to suck the nectar out of life, I also know that the body needs rest.  So I sit here thinking and typing.  And as our program comes to a close, I am a little saddened.  I know that I am travel weary, and nothing seems to sound as good as home, bubble-baths, ice water, air conditioner, a sofa, a kitten to snuggle, a hug from my momma….etc.  But as weary as I am, I am going to miss this nutty bunch of environmentalists that I met over the past 10 days.  I am going to miss being in a like-minded scientific community, seeing the impact a single person can have in conservation, and learning so much cool stuff.

Tonight is our last night.  The drums continue in the background as I type.  I breath in and out (still congested though…haha) and know that it’s not over.  Though half of this group is going home and I only get 3 free days with the other half… I know that I still have another 2.5 years with this nutty bunch of environmentalist.  Gotta love online communities!


The next 3 days should be fun though.  One of our leaders set up an optional cave tubing experience, and then a bunch of us are headed out to one of the Cayes to spend the last days relaxing to Reggae.  Momma always encourages me to “live while I am young”.  So as sickly as I feel… I am going to live it up.  Then sleep on the plane… A LOT… haha.


Mayan Ruins at Altun Ha after our homestay.

Snorkeling the Western Hemisphere's biggest Reef.

The Iguana that watched me doing laundry yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment