Monday, June 27, 2016

Climbing the Singing Dune

Believe it or not... the Gobi desert is actually not all sand dunes and camels. It actually has plains and mountains, glaciers and crazy wildlife (like bears...)

But there is one famous dune there called Singing Dune. The wind blows hard across it making a sound while sandblasting all the tourists that are crazy enough to try to climb up a 45° incline on sand (which falls with each step...so to avoid making no progress with so much effort you have to use your hands and feet).

After about two hours of bear-crawling up the dune, I was able to sit atop where it subsequently rained and kept the Singing Dune from its song. So after my exfoliating experience on the top, I sang my favorite Mongolian lullaby with my guide as we slid down on our backsides...haha. In theory, it was still the Singing Dune, right ?


Other highlights of that day, camel riding, archery, and sneaking into the rec center at camp for table tennis with my awesome guide. We are so naughty...haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment