Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A Brilliant Day

This past weekend was amazing.  I had a friend who came to visit us here on the island.  We rested a bit, ate out at some amazing places, did crafts, and my favorite...explored the island next to ours and then sat in a legitimate coffee shop (you know..the ones with the couches!)

And then today was great!  It was hard to open my eyes this morning because it was cold and bright outside.  I just wanted to sleep.  But I made myself a promise.  I said that I would read my bible first thing in the morning and be more intentional with my prayers.  So this morning...after about 10 mins of the prayer, "Please help me get up..." I was able to read my bible.

I got a nice cup of Joe and headed to work in the Hijet.  (The Hijet is our little work truck...its like half the size of a real truck and its a right hand drive. Overall and adorable and fun way to get around campus)  Once there I was able to get a lot done.  I typed up my lesson plans in the proper format and even settled some things with the EPA regarding water quality tools.

On the note of lesson plans...I have been working a little over two weeks.  I am working on my second lesson plan and I am loving the feeling of getting things done.  Anyway, I walked into my boss's office the other day and she informed me that my lesson plan was being placed into the curriculum and taught this Spring.  My heart is filled with joy because I have been here less than three weeks and I have already contributed to the program!

Anyway, back to today.  We went down to the docks to do some collecting for the plankton monitoring network. With the help of my binoculars we saw some cool ships coming in...one from Saudi Arabia with Arabic written on the side of the tanker.  Also the dolphins were getting pretty close to the dock...which was beautiful to see.

We also collected some food stuffs from the floating docks with hand nets for our aquarium buddies.  I love feeding the fish because they chase the grass shrimp all around the tank.  Then they look so satisfied if they actually catch one.  I found some sort of sea cucumber-like filter feeder too.  We put him in the big tank and will figure out what he is tomorrow.

After work I went out to the marsh for a little bird watching and I got a letter in the mail from the little girl I used to nanny...and tonight will be a night full of knitting a scarf for this most precious girl.

Overall it was a brilliant day!

No comments:

Post a Comment