Monday, May 13, 2013

A Mom for Mother's Day

I had the joy of getting to see my mother for Mother's Day!

Actually, I got her for a whole week.  

Work has been crazy lately, with recent cut back in hours, the majority of the staff can't get all the work done in the little time.  Because my co-worker and I are contracted, we wouldn't be affected by the cuts right?  WRONG!  We work the same amount of time, but do more...with the housekeepers picking up the slack in the kitchen, we are required to moonlight as janitors.  I think by the end of this experience, I might be able to clean 4 toilets in 2 mins.  (A skill I have never thought I would need :-P )  In addition to the cleaning, (and soon to be the food prep since we have now been told to prepare our own meals on the days we teach), we have had school groups almost every day of the week.

NEEDLESS TO SAY, I needed some mom-time.  And my momma delivered!

We packed a lot into her visit.  She came on a Saturday afternoon, and after a trip to the steakhouse we joined in a historic Ghost Tour.  On Sunday we had tea with the ladies from church and then enjoyed some rented movies.  Monday I asked off of work.  We hopped on the ferry over to Fort Fisher and went to the NC Aquarium.  Then it was up the coast of NC to Wilmington for the most delicious day of eating ever.  We started in "The Shuckin Shack" for lunch (amazing oyster po-boy) and then had time to mosey on over to the Cotton Exchange for some window shopping.  That evening we went to "Circa 1922" which is the most amazing Gourmet restaurant in the region by far!  I had a mountain goat cheese ratatouille and mom had the filet minion.  We ended the evening with a horse drawn tour of the historic district.

Though I worked the rest of the week, we were able to do quite a bit in the afternoons.  We lazed on the beach, rented even more movies, shopped, sat on the river front, toured the local forts and museums and even went fishing. 
My momma and I at the Aquarium!

It was hard to say goodbye to my mother yesterday.  She is one of the few people I can be myself with...and it was just so comfortable to have her here. I love her to pieces.  Needless to say, I had a great Mother's Day.  And I am certain that she had a great Mother's Day as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment