Thursday, May 16, 2013

Attempting to Faith it!

While running the Coastal Fishing Station at work, I lost my glasses.  There is a moment at which I address my students in the Education Building, then I head out with equipment in hand to the beach.  At this point I put my glasses in my breast pocket of my work shirt and switched over to my prescription sunglasses.  Sometime between that point and the second rotation of students...the glasses were gone.

Now, in that time I had been running up and down the beach untangling lines, baiting hooks, and putting fish off.  So despite my efforts to find them after my second rotation...they were gone.  I did one last sweep before I moved on to the afternoon activities, but by then over 120 feet had trampled that area...so I think they are toast.

Now to be completely honest, I probably needed a new pair anyway (it's been 2 years since I got them).  BUT I have to admit I cried out of fear.  I am so afraid that I can't afford them.  You see, my insurance doesn't cover eye-care.  And to be completely honest, with my monthly salary in the 3 digit range, I have been borrowing money the past couple months.  I haven't actually tithed for a while either (though I have kept a log of what I owe God).

Anyway, I am just extremely tired of not having money.  And I really thought that this month would be the one that got me ahead.  (Not too ahead, I still have student loans that eat up 2/3 of my monthly paycheck).

The point is, I have tried to pray the prayer, "I will not put my trust in the dollar, but rather the creator of the universe."  Sometimes you pray it without feeling it.  But I want to mean it.  So I am prayerfully considering tithing the money I owe God, even if that means that I can't afford glasses this month.  I think it's time to put the money where my faith is, and trust that God will work it out.

Please pray for me as I do this...because it is a very big step.  Without the glasses, I can't drive much, and my teaching might even be affected.  But with the grace of God, I want to sow in faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment