Friday, May 2, 2014

How to Garden when you Can't...

I could also call this blog post, "Gardening Saves your Sanity" because it does.  I would go crazy if I couldn't put my hands down into the cool soil and tend for something precious to grow.

I live in an apartment, so I realistically cannot garden.  Landlords don't tend to smile when they find that you have torn up the beautifully manicured lawn to plant "stuff in the dirt".  But as I said, I NEED THIS!

So I must thank my mother for being persistent about finding a community garden in the area.  I was able to secure a raised bed at the garden at the last minute for which I am thankful!  Also, we have a large section of potatoes that we planted as a community.  This part is beautiful because nothing builds bonds between strangers like back-breaking work.

Also, the garden offers classes.  In our last class, we were able to make bag gardens for our homes.  NOW this is something anyone can do, so I must share it.  You can do this even if you rent!  So without further ado:

HOW TO GARDEN WHEN YOU CAN'T:

The garden bag-

  1. Purchase a bag of soil-less media, any type will do.
  2. Place the bag where you will have your "garden".  
  3. Poke holes in the bottom of the bag.
  4. Then slice a large square out of the top of the bag.
  5. In the now large patch of dirt, feel free to plant approximately 6 or 7 plants keeping them a hands width apart.
  6. VOILA!  A GARDEN IN A BAG.  Repeat as desired to have all your delicious goodness at home!
My little Garden Bag

With my greens for salads.  Onion Bulbs in the bottom right.

No comments:

Post a Comment