Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Keeper's Dilema

I have these "bi-polar" moments in my current job.  An incredible low, followed by a polar opposite high.

On Friday I was ready to blog a list of things that I don't think the world knows about zoo keepers.  The lows really (here's just a smattering):
  • Always having wet (and subsequently stinky) feet-Whether you are cleaning a pond, or spraying out a den your shoes are soaked!  You come in the next morning and just put on wet work boots.  Your skin starts to peel a little and you find yourself going barefoot at all times on your days off just to dry them.
  • Dealing with the Public-The job is hard enough without having the public give you their two-cents-worth and preconceived ideas about conservation and downright misinformation about the status of particular animals.  "No sir, I am afraid if you saw a black panther in your backyard, then one of you is on the wrong continent." 
  • Being tired-ALL THE TIME!-This is a physically draining job with very little to no downtime.  You spend the morning hauling buckets of food, then buckets of poop, spraying out ponds, dens, and your shoes, and weed-eating or hauling brush.  I wore a skirt to the community garden yesterday, and in addition to being told that I had the whitest legs ever, I was displaying a wide variety of bruises.
  • Struggling with the Pros/Cons-I find myself at one of the best facilities I have ever worked in as far as commercial animal care.  All of our critters are there because they are deemed non-releasable and would die in the wild on their own.  We are doing a good thing by housing quite a few rescues as well.  We are also doing a good thing by educating the public.  But, there are some Cons of having our animals in captivity that are associated with certain others we work with and/or our animal acquisition.  Nothing illegal, just something I don't 100% agree with morally.  BUT, I will never agree with a place 100% so I work here thinking of all the good we are doing.  Mentally straining process over the long run though. 

Trust me there is more...but that isn't the focus of this post.  What I want to focus on is how I can go from such complainant-able lows, to the high's that blow your mind.  The answer is the unexpected moments that bring on those sudden surges of gratitude.  An attitude of gratitude makes all the difference.

My most resent moment was one that occurred after work one day.  I was just about to head home when two of my co-workers were about to go socialize our young otter.  (She is alone until the two babies move in once they are old enough.  So she needs a little socialization until then.)  They invited me along for this.  One co-worker ended up in the pool with her, while I stuck my feet in.  She swam around us like a crazy wiggly fish, and would jump up into our arms out of playfulness.  And I was overcome by gratitude.  Thank you Lord for giving me the now, even when it is hard.

Co-Worker's last day.  Saying goodbye.

Her fur was crazy soft on the toes underwater.

Sorry about the smell dear...those feet are ALWAYS wet!

No comments:

Post a Comment