Thursday, November 15, 2012

Adjusting

Coming home was a little harder than I thought it would be.
Usually when people see me for the first time since I've been back, they awkwardly ask, "How was Korea?".  And inside I am thinking, "How in the world do I explain the past year of struggle, failings, growth, success, healing, and faith, in a 30 second answer that will keep their attention?"  I equally as awkwardly respond, "Good".  And if there is an additional awkward silence to follow...I will add, "It was a growing experience."  The next question that everyone asks is, "I bet it's good to be home, huh?"  And for a while I would just lie and say, "Sure."

Don't get me wrong.  I wasn't fully lying.  I am very happy to be with my family.  I guess the lying part comes from me not knowing what is home.  I built a home in Korea.  But it seems like most folks here view Korea as the enemy.  The thing that drove Caroline to depression, sin, and anger towards God.  BUT that is only half the story.  Did they miss the redemption part?  It's the BEST part!  They fail to see the growth.  They fail to remember that God called me there in the first place.

I think of this quote from Paulo Coelho, the Brazilian writer.  He says, "There are moments when troubles enter our lives and we can do nothing to avoid them.  But they are there for a reason .  Only when we have overcome them will we understand why they were there."  

That really makes me think of a verse I read the other day:  "All praise to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.  He is the source of every mercy and the God who comforts us.  He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others .  When others are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us."   2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Note the bold part.  I made it bold because it stood out to me.  I cannot comfort others unless I understand and have experienced comfort.  And this I cannot do until I have suffered.  Some may not like this...but it is the way it is.

ANYWAY, with this said.  I am very happy to have spent a year in Korea.  I am very confused in this time of transition.  BUT I am very glad to be with family and friends.  I swear, you guys have been the most patient, kind, helpful, and persistently loving people.  You go above and beyond to help me adjust to being back.  To quote one more person, "Encouragement from any source is like a drop of rain upon a parched desert.   Thanks to all the many others who rained on me when I needed it, even when I foolishly thought I didn't." ~ Claire Gillian

I love you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment