Sunday, February 3, 2013

My Guide

“If we knew where we were going, what need would we have for a guide?” 

Sometimes I find myself in a rut.  I find it easier to be sad or stressed than to pull out of it.  When stuff like that happens, I usually tearfully call my mom.  And oddly enough, she still has what it takes to make the boo-boos better.

Right now I have a lot of stuff to think about.  I have been blessed to be able to pet-sit this weekend with a friend in town.  The time away have given me time to think.  You already know about my church search...which has proven discouraging since I seem to have many things I want out of a church.

In addition to that, I am considering purchasing a used car.  I have never had a car so I have a few things that make me hesitant:

  • I struggle with justifying spending every bit of my savings on a single object, (this coming from the girl who brushed her teeth with baking soda to avoid buying toothpaste during college...and who buys shoes from the thrift store that look better than the shoes she has at home.)
  • I am afraid that it could be a money trap and break down the moment I get home...if I get passed the cost of registering it, insurance, and fuel.
  • Will I even be in one place long enough to merit having a car?  I don't know what the future holds.  I even had to pawn off my guppy to my mom when I left the country. (RIP Hermi....)
  • Lastly, I have never owned a car, so not only is it a big commitment, but at times I find myself questioning if it really a necessity.  Do I even really deserve a car?  It's been so out of reach for so long.
Caroline's Surprised Face...Picture this during the Bike Story.

Well, let me tell you a story about Caroline on a bike.  Caroline is an anxious girl who can't sit still very long.  She decided that a bike was all she needed to use to get around namely because it was free.  One evening, she wanted coffee.  She decided that she would head off the island to the coffee shop.  The thing connecting the islands is a big bridge..that looks even bigger when you have to pedal up it.  I am talking about the sort of bridge that if you stop pedaling on the way up, you start going backwards....and once you are on the other side of the peak you don't pedal at all because the pedals are moving faster then you can move.  All you can do at this point is pick up your feet, scream and let gravity do it's thing.  Long story short, she got her coffee, crossed the bridge again and got back to the Fort well after dark.  This meant that she was riding around with the headlamp attached to her helmet.  The security guard on campus demanded to know who was this coal miner riding around on the bike.

The moral of this story is that maybe Caroline should get a car, and not brave the scary bridge too much...especially if she wants to find a church off-island.

At this point I need to be prayerful.  I need guidance if I am to make this big decision about a car.  And I need to learn to be okay letting Him guide me.  So, for now I am taking a few deep breaths, I'm gonna pet the dog, I'm gonna watch a "How-to" video about oil painting flowers, I'm gonna enjoy my job this week including my birding workshop, and I'm gonna trust that my Guide has all things figured out.

No comments:

Post a Comment