Monday, January 13, 2014

Blessed Birds with Bread!

Pardon the title of my post...but it makes me giggle.

I was helping my friend Pat clean up after communion on Sunday and she forced 3 loaves of left over communion bread into my hands with specific instructions on not to throw it away.  It has been blessed you see, so I have to dispose of it without dumping it.  OH DEAR.

The next thing I know, I am at the ferry terminal catching my ride to the Aquarium when I see a little girl playing with her parents.  I approach the dad,  "I couldn't help but notice you have a daughter..."  Cue awkward creeper music because that's exactly what I sound like at this point.  "And I thought she might want to feed the birds on the boat."  He just stares at me defensively.  So I pull out a loaf and force it on him.  "It's from my church....please help me use this communion bread, I don't know what to do..."

"I will take a loaf" he says and that is all.

WHEW!  THAT WAS AWKWARD!  Next time I need to think about what I should say first, instead of a plea for help...haha.  One down two to go.

I have my sunglasses on so no one can tell that I am looking out for kids....(which sounds so weird)...but it's the only way I can dispose of the blessed bread!  I figure waiting for the boat to leave might be better than stalking around the vehicle lanes, so I do.

Once the boat leaves, I see two boys with their parents on the upper deck.  This time I am ready!  "Hi there!, I didn't know if you guys wanted to feed the birds today...but I have this bread" ...hands it to the smallest boy, "which is left over from communion this morning."

"Thank you sweetie!"  Replies the mom.

NOM NOM NOM says the kid as he chows down on the loaf.

o.O  The parents are like...."um....I guess he is hungry."

I decide at that point that two loaves are enough for one ship, and that I will give away the third on the way back.  As I sit down to knit, I see a seagull fly past my window with a chunk of bread bigger than it's head...and I feel much better.  Oh blessed Birds!  :-P

(On the way back, I just handed a girl the loaf and said, "For the birds"...guess who was tired of this game by then...haha.)

No comments:

Post a Comment