Sunday, January 26, 2014

Life Lessons from Life

You know how simple things in life seem to teach the best lessons?  Well, I am learning that for sure.

I have found so much of my thoughts being consumed with the future, that I wasn't present in the present at all!  Yes, it is important to plan, seek the will of God, and make good choices for the future.  But I (as typical of people with my MO) chose to create every possible scenario of how the next few months are going to play out and dwell on it.  Meanwhile missing what is going on around me.

Luckily (or blessed is more like it), I have people around me who are wise and can give it to me straight.  My mom told me to "Be still and know that He is God." just the morning before my Korean Pastor did a sermon on that.  He discussed the power of being in the present.  As this is happening, my community care pastor tells me, "..it doesn't need to be a stormy season but just an enjoyable time with the Lord...When the time comes for you to move on, He will make it very clear, but let this transitional time be one of yes peace and also joy."  Simply put, I need just  focus on the now.

So...there I am walking walking the half-mile stretch back from the Aquarium (which is the best volunteer job I have ever done!  I was snorkeling in the Grouper tank today to give it a good scrub.  I saw a little girl through the glass and we waved to each other.  See, I am trying to focus on the present awesome things that I have!).  Anyway, on this half-mile stretch to the ferry there also happened to be two separate joggers, and I happened to be eating from a bag of chips.  As they passed I kinda hid the chips so that I didn't feel like such a fatty..haha.


On this walk I didn't allow myself to think ahead.  I have been doing that too much lately.  Even thinking about the good ahead is not good.  Example, I would think how much praise I would give God when he sorted things out and handled fundraising if I was accepted to the World Race Mission.  BUT, the God of the present is the same God...and does He not deserve the same praise now for all of the good things going on presently?  SOOOOO...you see, it was important to keep my mind on the now.

As I walked, I saw the birds.  I love the winter birds here, they are my favorite.  I guess they remind me of when I was new here last year, and everything was so exciting and unknown.  I went to a birding workshop with work and learned all about the little yellow-rumped warblers that had just finished migrating and were now flittering around above. These birds taught me a life lesson.  They know the time they are in.  It is winter and so they are here.  Do they plan for the summer travel at this time?  No...they are just here.  When summer comes they will do what they need to do.  But for now they are here.

Life lesson number two came in the form of a water color kit gifted to me by my friend Laura for Christmas.  If you know me, I am a self-abusive artist.  I seldom like my own work.  I find details that I hate and see all my mistakes.  BUT... water color doesn't allow you to do that.  The colors just flow wherever they want.  In my first picture I fought it.  I was like, "NO...phthalo blue!  Stay in your imaginary line!".  And I got to a point when I realized that I couldn't control it.  In my second painting, I went into it knowing that the colors would do what they wanted, I learned to go with the flow, and make a much free-er painting.  Can you see the difference?



Painting One

Painting Two


So...as I focus on the now, I will do it with an attitude of gratitude.  And who knows what other life lessons I will learn? 

No comments:

Post a Comment